Restricted Areas in Burma
In reality you’re only going to be there for the maximum your visa permits i.e. of 28 days or shorter and that in itself is not long enough to see all that Burma has to offer in the unrestricted areas. But there are also many restricted areas that you will not be permitted to venture into particularly in some of the more far flung areas. (For example, to Mrauk U, Kalewa, Putao, Kengtung)
Burma is by no means another North Korea and you will find yourself free to walk about where ever you want in most of the areas you visit.
Insurgency problems near the Indian and Thai borders are in areas far off the beaten track and will not affect your journey through Burma in any way.
Just use your common sense, don’t try and venture into any army barracks that you may see, don’t take photos of government buildings, police or officials.
But, as happens many times, you will fall in love with Burma and its people and many people like to return, and return to visit some of those more far flung places and met the ethnic people in there own enviroment. If thats the case then disregard the above advice on restricted travel, that’s the short version, here’s the long one!
Restricted Areas in Burma
(don’t bother reading this unless you have a genuine interest in traveling to restricted areas in Burma, its a little heavy going….. but its the official line)
Myit Kyee Nar
- To Myit Kyee Nar with a Package Tour & Foreign Independent Traveler (F.I.T). Both shall be allowed to travel by air and train.
- Ho Pin/ Moe Hnyin/ Moe Kaung areas can be travelled by train and both Package Tour and F.I.T tours are allowed to travel from the above mentioned areas to In Taw Gyi by motor vehicles.
- Both Package and F.I.T tours are allowed to travel around Myit Kyee Nar surrounding areas which are Kyein Kha Ran Kha, Myint Sone, Wine Maw and War Shaung.
- Only Package Tours are allowed to travel to Putao by air. F.I.T tours shall be allowed only as a Package arranged by a licensed Travel and Tours Company.
The following areas you are required to seek permission in advance for Package Tours Travel
“Putao, Naung Mon Township, Kha Kar Bo Ra Zin in Pan Nan Din division (NJ 0705), Da Zone Dan (Da Zun Dan) (NO 1470) , Ga Win (NO 2460), Ta Hone Dan (Da Hon Dan) (NO 2487), Ta Lar Htu (NO 2674), Nga Wah (NO 3451), Lone Net (NO 4044), Pan Nan Din (NO 5035), Shin Chan (NO 5129), Na Ya Done (NU 3190), in Naung Mon Township: Ma Za (NO 2801), Naung Mon (NO 4406), Ta Tain Tan (NO 4773), Gat Htu (NT 5121), Kaw Le’ Htu (NT 5122), Bat Bot (NY 5390), in Putao township: Mount Phone Kan Ra Zi (NN 4700), Yay Khe’ Zat (NN 4716), Mount Phan Ga Ran (NN 4717), Taw Sa Khan (3) (NN 5116), Taw Sa Khan (2) (NN 5514), Thit Pin Gyi (NN 5606), Taung Chay Sa Khan (1) (NN5913), Snow Line Sa Khan (NN 6113), Chaung Sone (NN 6613), Zi Yar Dan (NN 6710), Khar Lan (NN 7005), Taung Paw Sa Khan (NN 7111), Wah Sar Dan (NN 7603), Wan Lai Dan (NN7603), Man Say Khun (NN 9104), Kaine Taw (NN9480), Kat Pon old village(NS9385), Kyauk Lone Gyi (NN 9482), Upper San Gan (NN 9584), Nan Shal Kauk (Nan Shay Kauk)(NN 9704), Nan Shel (NT0694), upper Shen Gaung (upper San Kaung) (NS 8794), Man Si(Man Say)(NS9494), Phan Khine village(NS 9496), Htone LI Htu(NT 0183), Ho Pa (Ho Phine) (NT 0282), Mu Lar Shi Di(NT 0574), Hta Wah Dan(NT0891), Hon Nan(Zee Hon)(NT0974),Noi Nan(Noi Si Nan)(NT0994),in Ma Chan Baw Township: Kaung Hmu Lone(NT1392), Noan Ta Bon(NT1891), Ma Chan Baw(NT2079), Nan Hti(NT2595), Ah Lan Gar(NT3480), Ah Htan Gar(NT4477), Uu Rain Gar(NT5186), Ra Bo(NT7122), In Swan Pa Rar Bon Township: In Baw Ma village(In Gaw Ma)(NT2603), Nant Khan(NY1985), Mu Daung(NT0389).
In order to travel to the Putao areas as mentioned in the above restrictions, you will be required to inform the Ministry of Hotels and Tourism the itinerary in advance.
Package Tours and F.I.T tours are allowed to travel to Ba Maw by air and water. Travel by motor vehicles you are require to seek permission in advance.
Shan State (Northern)
- Package Tours and F.I.T tours are allowed in to Lashio by air, train and motor vehicles.
- Advanced permission shall be required for Package Tours to travel into the state of MuSe’ by motor vehicle.
Shan State (Southern)
- Package Tours and F.I.T tours are allowed to travel in the land of Kyine Tone and Tachileik but only from arrival by air. It is allowed to travel from Kyine Tone to Tachileik by motor vehicle.
- It is allowed to travel to Lwei Kaw in Kayar Division by air and from Kalaw to Lwei Kaw through Kalaw Pin Laung – Phe Khone route by motor vehicle with advanced permission. Travel outside Lwei Kaw is prohibited.
- Package Tours and F.I.T tours are allowed to travel by air, motor vehicle, boat from in land to Sittwe, Myauk U, Nga Pa Li, Than Dwe, Gwa and Taung Goke.
- Package Tours and F.I.T tours are allowed to travel by motor vehicle- to Kan Thar Yar along Nga Thine Chaung-Gwa highway route and to Nga Pa Li along Pyay-Taung Goke highway route.
- With advance permission, Package Tours and F.I.T Tours are allowed to travel by motor vehicle in state to Ann, Min Pyar, Kyauk Taw areas, to Pa Let Wa in Chin State through Kyauk Taw area.
- With advance permission, Package Tours and F.I.T Tours are allowed to travel by motor vehicle and boat to Chin villages in Pauk Taw Township, Lay Myoe Chaung areas in Myauk U township, to Pyay-Taung Goke, Pa Dan-Ann.
- With advance permission, Package Tours and F.I.T Tours are allowed to travel by motor vehicles, boat to Pha An, Thar Ma Nya, Hlaing Bwe, Kauk Ka Reik.
- Package Tours and F.I.T Tours are allowed to travel by train, motor vehicle, boat to Kyeik Htee Yoe, Kyeik Hto, Tha Htone, Kyeik Ma Raw, Mawlamyine, Belue Kyune, Than Phyu Za Yat and Kyeik Kha Me.
- Package Tours and F.I.T Tours are allowed to travel Myeik, Hta Wei, Maung Ma Kan, Kaw Thaung by air, boat.
- It is allowed to travel with Entry Permit to Sa Lone Island, Me Pya Island, Seik Lu Island, Thu Htay Island, Sagaine Island and Min Hla Island in Kaw Thaung area.
- With advance permission, Package Tours and F.I.T Tours are allowed to travel by boat to Myeik, Htawei and following areas in Kaung Thaung division:Kwan The Island, Su Lar Ng Island, Pa Wel Island, La Wun Island, Lan Pi Island, Ma Kyone Lat Island, Myauk Taw Win Island, Kyun Phe Lar, Nyaung Whee Island, Taung Taw Win Island, Island No.115, Hlaing Gu Island, Nar Nat Thee Island, Shwe Kyun Lay, Myauk Ni Island, Thu Ye Kaung Khun Su, Lower Kyun Ni, Myin Khwar Isla.
Yangon Division, Mandalay Division, Pago Division, Magwe Division, Ayeyawaddy Division
- Package Tours and F.I.T Tours are allowed to travel by train, boat, motor vehicle within Yangon Division, Mandalay Division, Pago Division, Magwe Division, Ayeyawaddy Division.
- Package Tours and F.I.T Tours are allowed to travel by motor vehicle to A Lang Taw Kat Tha Pha, Pho Win Taung, Moneywa, Twin Taung, Bu Ta Lin, Kyauk Kar, Yin Mar Pin and Yay Hlyan Twin areas.
- Package Tours and F.I.T Tours are allowed to travel by air and boat to Khan Tee. Travel outside Khan Tee is prohibited.
- Package Tours and F.I.T Tours are allowed to travel by boat to Home Ma Lin. Travel outside Home Ma Lin is prohibited.
- Package Tours and F.I.T Tours are allowed to travel by air to Ka Lay. It is only allowed to travel (four) miles parameter of Kalay area.
- It is allowed to travel Ka Lay Wa, Phaung Pyin, La Hel, Lay Shee, Hta Man Thi, Min Kin areas with advance permission.
- With advance permission, Package Tours and F.I.T Tours are allowed to travel to Kan Pat Lat, Mt. Victoria, Min Tat, Aye Ywar camp, Ran Si camp, 8 Mile camp, Mt. Kennedy, Pha Lan, Har Khar. Travel to the other areas apart from above mentioned areas are prohibited.
Burma Travel Essentials